The Vanvitelli fountain

The Vanvitelli fountain

The fountain of Vanvitelli is located within the port visible from the promenade along the embankment.

Urban VIII, in 1630, believed necessary to build the breakwater as a defensive system to separate the port from the city.

The fountain was built during the pontificate of Benedict XIV in 1740, who would replace an old tub with this ’ work that was created in 1743 by Luigi Vanvitelli (known Italian painter and architect of Dutch origin).

At the center of this monument shows the head of an old faun and the water comes out of his mouth.

This ’ work will adorn the base of the wall in the Middle.

The name of the fountain is “The Big Fountain In Travertine” as it takes its name from the material with on has been entirely built.

The Vanvitelli fountain


 

The Vanvitelli fountain

Ideal for enjoying the monumental beauty of travertine fountain designed by Vanvitelli in the port of Civitavecchia

Lascia il tuo voto
[Voti: 10 Media: 5]