The Forte Michelangelo was built in 1537 as a Fort to protect the harbour of Civitavecchia.
Its structure has the form of a quadrilateral (100 X 120 m) with the male of octagonal shape and four corner towers.
The male or donjon is the main tower (Tower typical of medieval castles), It is thought to have been designed by Michelangelo Buonarroti; from here take the name of Fort Michelangelo.
The torrone di levante is the coat of arms of the man who built this building, meaning of Pope Julius II, that represents an oak tree symbolizing the place where Pope Julius II blessed the “Cornerstone”.
The Southeast has the name of São Paulo, the Southwest San Pietro, that Northeast San Giulio and the Northwest San Romolo.
One of the best-known frequenters of this fortification, was Leonardo Da Vinci who studied and carefully designed Roman buildings.
To date, the Forte Michelangelo has been recently remodeled.
Among the first assistance include the demolition of the former ’ station of the ferrovie dello stato in porto, the Elimination of parking lots around the fortress and a large tub of water that runs along a good part of this property, wrapping the Fort on the Southeast side.
Traffic areas have been removed to create a ’ only square and enjoy a walk that develops from the Fort to the waterfront.
A series of spaces around this structure were designed to green, enriched with plants and shrubs typical of Mediterranean vegetation.
Ideal to admire one of the most important historical monuments present all ’ interior of the port city of Civitavecchia